Comprehensive Land Use Plan
Design Reviews
Development Code
Flood Protection Information
Public Facilities Plan
Transportation System Plan

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find out what a parcel of land is zoned?
Contact the Planning Division office. You will need to have the address or tax parcel number available for reference.

How can I find out what is a permitted use on a particular property?
The Troutdale Development Code is published on this website. If you know the zoning for the property, you can look in Chapter 3 of the Development Code to see what the permitted uses are.

What do I do if I want to rezone my property?
Consult the Planning Division for all the requirements. This request would have to be scheduled for a Planning Commission's agenda for a public hearing. Once this has been completed, the application will be scheduled for a public hearing before the City Council. Rezoning must be approved by a majority vote of the Council. The entire procedure may take 120 days.

What is a nonconforming use?
The Troutdale Development Code defines a nonconforming use as: "A use that was legally established before this code was adopted or amended, but does not comply with or is not permitted to exist due to subsequent enactments or amendments to this code".

What is a Conditional Use Permit?
The Planning Commission may permit certain uses by granting a conditional use permit. Each zoning district has a list of conditional uses. Applications for a conditional use permit require a public hearing and may be considered provided that such conditional use would not be detrimental to the adjoining properties or to the purpose and intent of the Comprehensive Land Use Plan.

Can I divide my property?
Contact the Planning Division to explain the process for dividing or developing your property.

What are my setbacks?
Contact the Planning Division. They will be able to tell you what your setbacks are by looking up your address and subdivision.

Is a business license required to operate a business from my home?
Yes. Chapter 5.100 of the Development Code provides the requirements for home occupations. Call City Hall, at 503-665-5175 for a business license application or click HERE for information on how to download one.

When is a development permit required to build an accessory structure on my property?
A development permit is required for an accessory structure under 200 square feet in size and 10 feet or under in height. Accessory structures include detached garages, detached carports, decks between 12 and 30 inches in height, storage sheds, gazebos, play structures, or any other structure detached from the primary structure determined to be similar by the Community Development Director.

Do I need a permit to build a fence?
No permit is required for a residential fence. See section 5.050 of the Development Code for clear vision area requirements and setback standards.

What is a Pre-Application Conference and when is it required?
The Pre-Application Conference is an opportunity to sit down with the planning staff as well as other city, county, and state agencies to review issues that are specific to your proposal. A Pre-Application Conference is required for all commercial and multi-family residential proposals. Contact the Planning Division to schedule a Pre-Application Conference. There is a charge of $200.

When is a Flood Hazard Permit required?
If you have property that is within the 100-year floodplain (page 39) or otherwise adjacent to the Sandy River, Beaver Creek or Arata Creek, a Flood Hazard Permit is required prior to any grading, removing vegetation, bringing in top soil or fill, or building on the property.


This Page Was Last Updated April 12, 2018

Find Us On Facebook City Of Troutdale